“Something miraculous is happening at the Segal….the play is not an antiquated art form, but is instead the main event at Montreal’s most illustrious English playhouse and cultural centre”
– Mixte Magazine
THE SEGAL CENTRE: YOUR HOME FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
The Segal Centre for Performing Arts is a not-for-profit theatre company dedicated to nurturing, producing and presenting world-class English-language theatre, and to showcasing the best professional artists from Montreal and beyond.
Founded in 1967, the Segal Centre has expanded to become a nationally recognized venue for the performing arts, a training ground for emerging artists and a one-of-a-kind destination for the best of jazz concerts, dance, cinema and Jewish arts and culture.
The Segal Centre is committed to strengthening our communities and developing the artists and audiences of tomorrow through the transformative power of the performing arts.
Artistic and Executive Director: LISA RUBIN
“I invite you to come join us: watch incredible artists at the peak of their talents and be transformed by how surprising, powerful and truly unforgettable theatre can be”
WHO WE ARE WORLD-CLASS ENGLISH THEATRE We are a nationally recognized for its English Theatre. Artistic programming, which emphasizes original interpretations of classic and contemporary works, new Canadian musicals and engaging productions with broad appeal.
ARTISTIC & COMMUNITY HUB We are a proud artistic resource and community hub for Montreal’s independent and emerging artists to play, explore and grow.
ONE-OF-A-KIND DESTINATION FOR JEWISH ARTS & CULTURE We celebrate and explore Jewish identity through the arts and promote a public pride in its heritage and the modern Jewish experience.
EDUCATION & ACCESSIBILITY Based on the belief that theatre should be accessible to all, our professional performing arts Academy and diverse Educational programs inspire the next generation of artists and engage the audience’s connection to the theatre experience.
THE SEGAL CENTRE AT A GLANCE
- Located at the heart of Montreal’s vibrant west-end.
- Over 65,000 visitors a year.
- Home to the esteemed Dora Wasserman Yiddish Theatre (est. 1958), Canada’s only and oldest Yiddish-language theatre.
- Provide employment for and advance the artistic practice of over 200 artists from Montreal and across the country, year-round.
- Our first-class multi-space venue includes a 306-seat Theatre, a 186 seat Studio, ArtLounge and 77-seat CinemaSpace along with 5 rehearsal spaces, a costume shop and scenic shop.
- Favoured destination for theatre, as well as jazz concerts, dance, cinema, enriching educational programming & Jewish cultural events.